Our vision for a more sustainable way to travel…
Climate change is one of the biggest threats facing our planet today, and the rise in cheap air travel among many other factors has contributed to the situation we now face. Luckily, there’s loads that we can all do to act in a responsible and ethical way, both as a business and as a consumer.
Did you know train travel is the greenest way to get about? Europe’s network of trains are among the most extensive and environmentally friendly in the world (The Netherlands runs its entire rail network on renewable energy!). For the same journey, trains generate masses less Co2 per passenger than flights… In fact according to research carried out by Eurostar, taking the train from London to Paris rather than flying cuts a person’s Co2 consumption by a staggering 90%!!
It’s just another reason to make the most of Europe’s excellent rail connections: what better way to do your bit for the planet than by travelling by rail and enjoying all the natural beauty that Europe has to offer?
But our sustainable travel ambitions go beyond just the way we get you from A – B.
We also aim to minimise our carbon footprint and waste production levels as an office:
- We never send out printed communications (for example brochures). You can find all our brochures on the website, and we are more than happy to email you a copy if you prefer. Similarly, we send all quotes and trip information (with the exception of your final travel pack) by email. With this in mind, please consider the environment before you print off copies of our emails or brochures!
- Our travel packs are printed on recycled paper and are 100% recyclable themselves.
- We only use Xerox Solid Ink to print our travel packs – this generates up to 90% less printing waste than more commonly used laser printers!
As well as our responsibility to the environment, we also recognise our impact on local communities as part of the tourist industry. We are very aware of the potentially harmful impacts of mass tourism, which is why we always aim to sell sustainable travel.
- We develop personal relationships with our hostel/hotel partners to benefit (and never exploit) local businesses.
- We limit our trips to small groups of independent travellers – no massive bus tours.
- We encourage our customers to travel with an open, respectful attitude toward fellow travellers and local residents.
- We promote travel as a means of building cultural understanding.
- We offer ‘less touristy’ suggestions for sightseeing – giving you more authentic experiences as well as the opportunity to support local businesses and meet local people.